Hi Rob,

You've brought up an interesting point. Well, to me anyhow! <g>

By your statement "...I assume that the Takumar doesn't employ SMC
coatings," you made me wonder why you would assume such a thing.
So I checked all my M-42 Takumar lenses, and some do indeed include
the SMC coating, so just because it's a Takumar is not necessarily
associated with SMC coating or not. At least going by what's engraved
on the front bezel:

• Super-Takumar 1:1.4/50 - looking at the front lens I see evidence of
numerous (11 or 12?) colored reflections, so it is definitely coated,
but no "SMC" on the lens bezel. This is my only 50mm lens with so many
coating reflections!

• Super-Takumar 1:3.5/135 - only 4 reflections, but obviously coated.
Not SMC. Will it be less contrasty and subject to flare? I love this
lens for it's build and compactness. Shall I not use it because of
it's diminished contrast? I think not...

• SMC Takumar 1:1.4/50 - 6 reflections. My Spotty F's always-attached
normal lens. Compare with the topmost listed 1.4/50 - are these two
different designs, or does the Super-Takumar have more coastings than
the SMC version?

• Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1:1.4/50 - 6 reflections, just like the
one above. There are obviously build differences, if only in how the
SMC is spelled out or abbreviated, and rubber vs. metal focus rings, etc.

• Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1:2.5/135mm - Only 3 reflections on this
lens, yet it's SMC. Different design than the f/3.5 version?

How interesting...
What's the difference between a plain Takumar (is there any such?), a
Super-Takumar? Is the coating change all that takes place in a SMC
Takumar the only thing that makes it different from a Super-Takumar?

If all this is too boring or elementary for you folks [smile] maybe
someone lead me to a site that describes the differences?

Thanks to all,

keith whaley