Hi Joe,

I don't know how to calculate closest distance, but the diopter of the closeup lens
indicates where "infinity" focus would be in fractions of a meter.  In other words,
the
farthest you could focus with a +1 closeup lens is 1 meter, with a +2 it would be 1/2
meter and a +3 would be 1/3 meter and so forth.  Hope this helps.

William in Utah.