I read about a technique for scanning BW negs recently (I forget where) that
seems to work pretty well, or at least better that the way I had been doing
things. The author recommended scanning the negs as color *positives*, using the
scanner's highest bit-depth and resolution. Get the levels approximately correct
before scanning, then scan and save. Open the image in photoshop, invert the
image and make final levels adjustments there.

A bit convoluted, but it does seem to produce good results. I'm still far form
satisfied with scanning traditional BW negatives (I don't use chromogenic BW
film) but I'm making progress. Slowly.

--
Mark Roberts
www.robertstech.com