It is interesting that this topic was spawned recently, as I have also
been in the midst of this decision. Well, I've finally made my decision
and now have the following question:

Has anyone invested in the spiked foot that can be bought for the Bogen
family of monopods? It sells for about $7 and (at least in theory) sounds
like a good idea...  But I was wondering how it faired in practice.  More
specifically, with a heavy lens in a dirt / grass environment this seems
like it may be a worthwhile investment for added stability.  I went to a
local camera shop today and played with the monopod, head and lens combo
that I intend to use, and the rubber bottom seemed a bit slippery... but
the store unfortunately had no spiked feet for me to bore holes into the
floor with. Go figure!

Thanks in advance,
     jerome

Jerome D. Coombs-Reyes