Message text written by INTERNET:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Go out and shoot with them. It'll be great for the first week and then
you'll
realize the quality isn't really there. Film is better and in many ways
easier. You can't easily show your friends at the camera club your digital
images the way you can with slide film. Digital may save time but don't
count
on it. You still have to process the pics you want through the computer etc

etc... I'm guessing very few, maybe 1-2 per cent shoot professionally. Of
that number maybe one or two need digital for fast turnaround. The rest are

just ranting about keeping up with the Nikons and Canons. I'll be happy if
Pentax comes out with a good digital I can use my old lenses on within the
next 2-3 years.
<

any serious photographer who is not actively using a digital camera and
learning the workflow necessary to produce as good work as possible within
the limitations of current technology is just asking to be marginalized,
just as large format photography is. technology right now is changing so
fast and there is no practical limitation in sight for the next 5 years. in
the past 5 years, we have gone from 2 Megapixel pro digital cameras to 12
Megapixel ones. even if they just double in resolution in the next 5 years,
they are going to be essentially equivalent to a 4000dpi slide scanner and
close to what a really good slide film can resolve. with a digital original
and places finally accepting digital submissions of work, the problems of
duplicating slides and all those problems goes away. having 30 digital
portfolios circulating at any one time is hugely less expensive than 30
dupe slide portfolios. as for digital presentations at camera clubs, i
expect that the clubs will acquire their own presentation systems and
accept a picture CD that you bring to a meeting. anyone who is selling
their work regularly will see a huge reduction in backend costs by going
mostly to fully digital, but to get quality results at the same time means
developing habits and workflow to ensure that they themselves don't
introduce anything to degrade their work.

Herb....