----- Original Message -----
From: Wendy Beard
Subject: Re: Shooting Auroras

> That's what I thought.(didn't think of compensation though)
Then my nerve
> failed when the shutter seemed to have been open for an
eternity. I
> switched it  to B and counted to 10, then 20, then 30.
> It wasn't a particularly impressive display anyway, mostly
white with a
> hint of green. If I get to see the lights again then I'll be a
bit better
> prepared (hopefully)

Auroras and the like are actually pretty dim, so you want to
have a fast lens, wide open. My best Hale-Bopp stuff was with
the LX on auto and the 50mm f/1.2 wide open. With the comet, I
set the exposure comp to minus 2 stops because of the scene
type. With northern lights, I would give a plus exposure comp
for the same reason.
We had the same light show here in Regina. Foolishly, I missed
it. Imagine throwing cupric chloride into a camp fire......
I guess it was quite the show farther west, and somewhat north.

William Robb