I don't know if it was true, but it was said that the Z-1 had a vertical grip originally, but scraped the last minute all because of one person. The picture with "Last one" was the sample. If you can read Simplified Chinese, it's here: http://www.xitek.com/papers/xitek/xitekoldpaper/B11.htm

You might try to translate at: http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

regards,
Alan Chan

I wasn't commenting on the MZ-S battery consumption, as I don't own one. I
was however, commenting on the rate at which the Z-1 chews up 2cr5
batteries. My old Z-1 would last for about 15 rolls of 36 before it was
unusable with AF glass. All I ever wanted for it was a vertical grip that
would take AA's. I tend to get off the beaten track a bit and have been
caught without enough spare batteries a few times. Luckily though, I have
been able to haul out the LX and just keep going. There's an engineering
fellow in the USA who has been threatening to release vertical grips for the
Z-1 for ages, but he doesn't seem to be getting any closer to a release
date. They look good in prototype though.

For now, I might sit things out and rely on my LX. When the dust settles a
bit and we all know what Pentax are doing then I may decide to purchase a
new camera. It will be either the z-1p or the new film flagship (I will be
purchasing a DSLR regardless, unless it is really crappy). The only way I
will purchase the film flagship over a z-1p is if it makes me feel
comfortable enough to let go of my LX (relax only joking folks).

Surf the Web without missing calls! Get MSN Broadband. http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/freeactivation.asp