I wrote:

> Personally I think digital is at a point that anyone introducing a digital
> SLR at a consumer price, as opposed to prosumer/pro level camera, has an
> excellent chance of capturing a major market share of digital. Pentax has
> some excellent P&S digital cameras and if they introduced such an SLR
aimed
> at the consumer market they could regain the prominence they once had as a
> camera manufacture.

Pål Jensen responded:

Perhaps. But I think they need more. Like more up-to-date AF, IS and USM
perhaps. I don't think Pentax being able to make better or cheaper digital
slr's than anyone else. At least not for long - not long enough to get
anyone to jump ship.

Me again....

I don't think IS and USM lenses would matter much in the consumer market at
this time; they are simply too high priced. However, I would certainly
ensure any new body would accommodate these features especially IS. Just
look at the Video market where that is now the defacto standard. USM on the
other hand is appreciated by those who like to "touch up" the focus manually
and most consumers are quite content with straight autofocus.

Cheers,  Mike.