The only real reason for using a monopod for action shots is to hold the camera and a
long heavy lens up so your arms don't get tired. I like longer, fast lenses shot at
wide apertures for shallow DOF (85/1.8 and 180/2.8). By shooting in the f2.8 - 4 range
you can use 100 speed film in bright light.

BR