"Also, I don't know much about it, but autofocus certainly can't work
all the time. I did look at one of the Pentax links about how autofocus
didn't really work with closeups (would usually be off), and that made
sense to me. Though probably a lot of autofocus cameras are pretty good
now.

But I keep having this nagging feeling "real photographers don't use
autofocus.

AF is great for action shots and irrelevant for still lifes, i.e.,
anything you either should or do use a tripod for at slow shutter
speeds.  One time you should never use it is macro work.   At least in
my case, it focuses faster than I do.

Steven Desjardins
Department of Chemistry
Washington and Lee University