On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Herb Chong wrote:
> i friend of mine just started working for the company that designed and
> built the Next Generation Space Telescope Mirror. it's in storage right
> now. he will have access to the optical design software, he thinks. i've
> asked for a 65mm f0.9 already. next up is 12-200mm f2.8 for the Pentax
> DSLR.

somewhat releated to the above, however, I'm abou to engage in a little
thread hijacking..

Does anyone know where to get a good optical diagram of a classic lens*?
This includes the elements/groups, but also the lines indicating what path
the light takes through the lens? I found one of these, once, that would
totally meet my demands**, but it was too small and I couldn't scale it up
cleanly to meet my requirements. I even went so far as to try some
software that was supposed to turn them out, but nothing really worked how
I wanted it.

Unfortuantly, I can't find the original gif that I liked. It must be on my
girlfriend's computer. If you think you can help, let me know, and I'll
show you what I'm looking for with that example.

* - Ideally, I wanted to find a Zeiss tessar. The one I found appears to
be a Zeiss planar 80/2.8, which also worked. A Pentax 50/1.4 would also be
swell, but at this point, almost anything would work well (except, well, I
really would love it tto be something truly classic, like those Zeiss
lenses).

** - It needs to be complex enough to be interesting, but not so much that
theres TOO much. A straight up optical formula is kinda boring. Its the l
ines that abstract it and make it interesting.

There was a point when Hassleblad designers were posting to
rec.photo.equipment.medium-format. I meant to hit them up witrh the same
request, but never did, and now it appears they've vanished.

--
http://www.infotainment.org       <->     more fun than a poke in your eye.
http://www.eighteenpercent.com    <->     photography and portfolio.