----- Original Message -----
From: Brad Dobo
Subject: Re: Terminology lesson. Re: 28-105 vs 24-90 vs 35-105

> Hey Robb,

Hey Dodo
Prime also means:
" YOUTH , adolescence, greenness, juvenility, puberty,
pubescence, spring, springtide, springtime, youthfulness

I see you in there somewhere, after adolescence, but before
puberty.
Just an observation from someone who knows goats.

Like I said, it's just a word that got applied to a specific
lens type.
Whether this implies a lack of understanding amoung several
million photographers, or a lack of understanding from one
person (you are a person, right?), you tell me.

A prime lens will meet the narrow minded criteria you have
selected as the one true meaning of the word far more often than
any other lens type (I guess that would be zoom, but could also
be varifocal, or even convertable).
Why would the term get changed? Its just a word.
Perhaps you are right, sometimes we arbitrarily start to use new
words to describe the same old thing.
Retarded people are now referred to as "challenged", though they
used to get the label "dodo".
Cheers

William Robb

> Well, then there is something lacking in the photographic
community.  Like I
> said prime means 'best, first-class, foremost,
> select, superior, top, top-quality'.  A fixed-focused/prime
lens does not
> always meet the criteria.  It's antiquated, perhaps like the
illusion of
> metal beats plastic.  Hopefully in our ever expanding digital
world (not
> limited to cameras), and with the increasing plastics coming
online to
> replace metal that is hundreds, thousands of years old, people
will drop the
> 'prime' business.  It may very well be a accepted term in
photography, but
> 1) it doesn't make it correct 2) I bet there are underlying
psycho-social
> elements in using such a term.  For instance, how did it
originate in
> photography?  Prime is quite pretentious.
>
> I grant the fact that the majority of sales are not to
professionals, but to
> people who just want a camera or are amateurs.  Most do not
understand much
> about photography, and like the Auto or Program settings.  A
'zoom' lens
> would of course be appealing to them, and in the entry-level,
they do tend
> to be inferior, even to many 35mm PnS cameras with good optics
and power
> zooming.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brad

"prime".
> > It has nothing to do with pride, or quality, it is merely
the
> > word given to identify single focal length lens.
> > The reason why some people have a hard time admitting that a
> > zoom can be better than a prime is because with few
exceptions,