-- -----Original Message-----
-- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
-- Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2002 12:14 AM
--
-- You know I can't help reading all these posts and shake my
-- head. I know we
-- need something to talk about here and this is as good a
-- topic as any but I
-- fear that some new photographer is going to read this
-- discussion and think
-- that if they don't have a ltd lens, a prime lens of every
-- focal length, FA*
-- lenses ... they can never hope to get good pictures.
-- At the risk of ticking off many on this list, let me say
-- this (especially to
-- new list members)
-- These are all my opinion--- not bothering with any facts.
--
-- 1) All Pentax lenses are very good. Most are great. Some are
-- excellent.
-- 2) You, I and 90 per cent of the people on this list could
-- not tell the
-- difference between a picture taken with the worst Pentax
-- lens and the best
-- when viewing a 4X6 inch print. That figure goes to 95
-- percent if the picture
-- is viewed on the Web and 100 per cent if proper technique is
-- not used.
-- 3) Generally speaking, many high-quality third party lenses
-- are as good  and
-- sometimes better than Pentax lenses.
-- 4) People who own a particular lens will rarely speak poorly
-- about it. The
-- amount of praise is directly related to how much they paid for it.
-- 5) The best lenses in the world are no better than the worst
-- lenses in the
-- world without the proper technique.
-- 6)  People who talk ad-nauseum about lenses (And we all fall
-- into this at
-- times) are more likely to be collectors rather than shooters.
-- 7) It is better to be a shooter than a collector.
-- 8) Most people on this list (myself included) tend to be
-- collectors as much
-- as shooters.
-- 9) The best lenses are the ones you use.
-- 10) A good tripod and ball head can turn a $150 lens into a
-- $1,000 lens .
-- 11) If you don't want to use a tripod, don't waste your
-- money on very
-- expensive lenses.
-- 12) If you are just starting out and are shooting for the
-- fun of it, spend
-- your money on film not gadgets and lenses. There's lots of
-- time to become a
-- collector.
--
-- Vic
--

Vic,

No doubt you bring up good points.

I started out usually mostly zooms.  Only had a 50mm as my only prime.  Many
praised me on my shots and I was very happy with the results.  I would not
hesitate to use any of my Pentax lenses.  Especially with their excellent
flare control.  I have shot Nikon lenses in comparison and shot alongside
friends with both Minolta and Canon gear.

The one lens I am the least happy about is one where I noted the lack of
sharpness on an enlargement I was having made.  Noticeable on the slide if I
inspect with a loupe, but who views them that way :')  That lens is still
used when shooting finish line for 'hire'.

Nowadays I have been spoiled by using fast lenses and the bright viewfinder
it gives me.  I also tend to shoot a lot of available light.  Probably a
good reason why I use my LXen a lot.

I will disagree with number 12 though.  I own two Limited lenses.  I also
own an A*300/4.  I recently picked up an FA*24/2.  I rarely use a tripod.
Many have marveled at the shots I have taken - especially sports shots with
the A*.  I find these lenses worth the cost.  I have not thought about the
49 because it is not a focal length I tend to use much.  And when I do I
usually use the 50/1.2 for speed.

But I do agree that as one becomes a better photographer - to whatever
standard you wish to use - there is a leaning towards better 'more' gear,
faster lens, better feel, specific focal lengths.

Cesar
Panama City, Florida
in Dayton, Ohio