J. C. O'Connell wrote:

> Recently bought a screwmount Tokina RMC 400mm F5.6
> lens even though I already had the Pentax
> Tele-Takumar 400 F5.6.  The main attraction for me
> was for the auto aperture ( The Pentax is
> manual aperture). To my surprise it's very compact
> and doesnt get longer as you focus close.
> I guess the focal length gets shorter as you focus.
> It's shocking sharp in my initial tests. Keep
> an eye out for this one, it's a winner.
> (Paid $125 ebay for it).

Is this the SL series lens (a small stylish red "SL" mark)?  I had one of
these and found it was pretty good when stopped down but a little soft
wide-open.  It had a pretty decent built-in hood.

I ended up selling it when I found a FA*400mm f/5.6 secondhand at B&H.
AF was pretty tempting at 400mm.  The Pentax appears to be a bit better
optically, but was not quite as good as I expected.

Cheers,

- Dave

http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/