Hi!

Considering all the great links (thank you!) that came from my asking about lunar-light landscapes, I was wondering if anyone had experience with the decreasing distance in 300mm lenses.

The SMC 300f4 is marked to focus to 300 feet before infinity; the M* and A* dropped to 150 feet before infinity; and the F4.5 has dropped to 60 (or 80?) feet before infinity.

I've seen lens tests mentioned for which the comparison is on the basis of fixed distance, infinity, or a combination of both, but what happens to depth of field in the shrinking settings.

For instance, at 200 feet, the original SMC 300 can have depth of field to highlight a subject, whereas at that distance the M* or A* may have lost the depth. The F4.5 would seem to be automatically at infinity with no depth of field.

Sure the latter has the convenience of automatic focusing, but wouldn't one feel a certain sense of loss regarding the shrinking linear dimension?

Thanks!
--Chet