----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Roberts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2002 6:09 AM
Subject: Re: 120 in an FS4000?

> "Jeff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Hi Mark,
> >I posted messages in an MF newsgroup regarding this scanner, compared to
the
> >2450.
> >After 2 weeks I got my first reply from a Scan Multi user.
> >Like you, he mentioned that both I & II are identical scanners with the
> >exception of the software. He suggested to go with a refurbished "I" and
get
> >Vuescan instead of the Minolta software.
> >This dealer http://www.publishingperfection.com/ sells refurbished
Multi's
> >for $500 and with the upgraded software for $600. Their web price is
> >incorrect.
> >
> >My question to you is, have you used the scanner with 120 film? If so,
can
> >you comment on the results?
>
> Yes, I use it for 120 film with excellent results. It only scans at 1125
dpi
> resolution with medium format, so a 645 slide only yields a 12 megabyte or
> so file. I find that I can double the linear dimensions of the images with
> Genuine Fractals and get amazing 12 x 16 prints, which is the largest I
can
> do on my Epson 1270.

I don't plan on enlarging beyond 8x10. My goal is web and slide shows.
At 1125 dpi is the Multi capable of extracting more detail than the 2450?
That's my other choice in scanners.

> The Scan Multi II was supposed to come bundled with Genuine Fractals. If
> this is the case with the refurbed units you're looking at I'd say it's
> worth the extra hundred dollars, otherwise you should go with VueScan.

No, they charge an additional $149.95 for Genuine Fractals 2.5. So the
refurbished unit with GEM, ROC and Genuine Fractals becomes a $750 bundle.

For $799 there are a few dealers that sell the Multi II brand new.

Cheers,
Jeff Tokayer.