On Saturday, November 23, 2002, at 10:24  PM, Paul Stenquist wrote:

In truth, anything goes. You just have to keep playing with the prop.
I've had models lean against walls. Sometimes you can achieve a really
sexy pose that way. Legs slightly out in front, back against the wall.
I've even had them pretend they were going to be frisked. With their
hands high on the wall. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's awful and you
try something else. Chairs can be used in a lot of ways: standing behind
the chair and leaning over it. Sitting side saddle in the chair. Today I
used a love seat next to a windowfor some shots. I told the model to
pretend she was going to look out the window for a long time. She drew
her legs up under her and tucked herself into a corner of the couch. It
looked good.
Paul

Ok, I understand. I can see how having a model with imagination would really help.

Any recommendations on books for portraiture? The one I picked up is Portrait Photographer's Handbook, by Bill Hunter. It's ok, but mainly uses wedding shots which is not something I see myself doing much of (if any).

My main object is to get better at shooting the people around me, in informal settings, but not PJ or documentary style. More like, "this is a look on this person's face that catches something distinctive of their character or innerlife right at that exact moment. The sort of photos that people who know the subject point to and say "that is just so--Marian" or Bob, or whoever.

Something that deals with techniques for overcoming peoples camera consciousness or outright fear, in some cases. I want to know how to be with people with a camera in a way that allows me to use the camera and not have them mug, freeze, or pose.

Rereading that, it sounds like it might be a little tough to find a book that specific, but, then again, you never know until you ask. :-)

Thanks,

Dan Scott