Mat,

It has been a long time since I used the SuperProgram, but I believe
the answer is yes.  Treat it just as if you were metering without the
flash.  You are pointing out the real downfall of TTL flash - that is,
it has the same metering problems as a program mode, namely, it
doesn't know what it is metering.  Just looking for the old 18% grey.
Black or white turn out poorly without some control from the
photographer.

If there are any current SuperProgram owners out there who know for
sure, please chime in.

Bruce