Lawrence Kwan wrote:

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Leonard Paris wrote:

I hope Pentax decides to use a 2nd generation Foveon chip. I find the
reviews and discussions about results from the Sigma DSLR very interesting
and I think the next iteration of the Foveon could bring Pentax right up to
speed in the digital world.

On the other hand, it is more risky to depend on a small company such as
Foveon. With no major volume manufacturers jumping on board (e.g. Sony,
Olympus, Canon etc), the long term survival of Foveon as a independant
company remains uncertain. As intriguing (and arguably superior) as
Foveon's technology may be, the economy of scale of CCD and traditional
CMOS development could overwhelm Foveon in terms of price and performance.
They desperately need a major partner to survive.

As a counterpoint, Kodak is betting the farm on "FillFactory".

But I do agree with you- especially from the perspective of the amount of development information out there already on CCD and to a lesser extent CMOS. Research has been done, people can be hired, etc.

-Ryan