Best money you could spend with a beast that size is a good tripod and ball head. Good balls are hideously expensive (no pun intended), but worth it. I have used an Arca Swiss B1 a fair bit, but have never been able to justify the expense. By the time you get hold of the ball, and 4-5 plates for lenses and cameras, you've spent $600.00 or so. A lot of moula! However, the are magnificent to use.

Cheers

Shaun

Bruce Dayton wrote:
Shaun,

I dunno...when I bought mine, I got the 1.4X-L at the same time.  It
isn't that hard to figure out what the lens can do.

One other way to look at it is to see what else you need to spend
money on to see if the converter is really the next thing on your
list.  Perhaps a good tripod head that works well with the lens, or a
nice monopod (that is how I use mine quite often) or something may be
the first order of business.

Bruce

Friday, December 6, 2002, 2:57:31 AM, you wrote:

SC> Figure out what the 400mm can do on it's own first Brad...

SC> Cheers

SC> Shaun

SC> Brad Dobo wrote:

I can see the headache coming.  I know from you that the 1.4x L fits my
lens, but not sure on the 2x L, of course, gonna be tough finding a place
that has one to try out.  So the quality is worse at 2x then..hmmm.....and
800mm was so tempting.  ~600mm isn't bad I suppose :)  May stick with the
better and compatible 1.4x L.  Thanks for the info Bruce.

Brad