Tom Rossi wrote:
I created a CNAME record for www.test.com that points to a real zone on my production DNS. Here is the problem, when I try to resolve
www.test.com, it doesn't come back with the IP from my CNAME record
lookup, but instead it actually resolves www.test.com from the public DNS.

I'm guessing you've configured it to recurse; it will try to query recursively first, unless 'allow-recursion-override' is set to "yes". I don't recommend enabling recursion on authoritative nameservers, however.

Take a look at http://doc.powerdns.com/recursion.html for more information on recursion features of PowerDNS.

1.  Is this the correct format for a CNAME record?
INSERT INTO records (domain_id, name, content, type,ttl) VALUES
(1,'www.test.com','host.mydomain.com','CNAME',120);

This is correct, yes.

2.  Should PowerDNS EVER send a recursive lookup for a domain that is
listed in its domains table?  Seems like it should recognize it is the
authority and always respond.

No, this is normal; see the link I pasted above for more.

--
Derrik Pates
[EMAIL PROTECTED]