Thanks for the reply. However, we were finally able to nail this down as definitely not being PowerDNS' issue.

The server(s) in question are FreeBSD using the pf firewall. Both servers are running FreeBSD 8.1, and have nearly identical rules. I copied over the firewall config from the working server and it still didn't solve the problem, but turning of the firewall definitely does. Very strange indeed. I have no explanation, but this seems to be some obscure OS/network stack/firewall issue and we're hunting it down.

Regards,

Mark