I've been toiling with pdns for the past few days and keep finding that much of
the information on the net on how to go about setting this up is a mess of
versions that don't work.

I've rebuilt from scratch and this should all be pretty simple but to confirm,
I need some help so posting here.

First, I am setting this up on a Centos7 server.
The version I am using is
https://downloads.powerdns.com/releases/pdns-4.0.3.tar.bz2

I also installed pdns-backend-mysql which seemed to be needed since there were
errors until I installed this.

Now the package is installed but of course, doesn't install the database. This
is where I need your help to confirm I am doing the right things.

I then use the following schema;
https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/blob/master/modules/gmysqlbackend/schema.mysql.sql

QUESTION: Is this the correct schema for the version I have installed?

I restart the server and do not see any errors.

Now, I want to add the admin package so install the following.
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/poweradmin/poweradmin-2.1.7.tgz

QUESTION: Is this the correct package for the version of pdns which I have
installed?

After these two things are installed, is there anything else I need to install
in order to have a master authoritative server which mainly only propagates
outward, meaning, no client connections.

QUESTIONS

1: docs say that when adding/updating/removing records from the db, powerdns
never needs to be restarted.
If I manually add a record into the db without using the powerdns interface,
will pdns know to update itself instantly?

2: is there a way of adding/updating/removing records from the command line
without using mysql?

3: After installing the powerdns server, do I change the /etc/resolv.conf file
to 127.0.0.1 in order to use this dns server rather than an external?

Thanks very much for any help you can provide.