On Wed, Jul 31, 2024, at 17:22, Jorge Bastos via Pdns-users wrote:
> Hi Brian,

>>> interesting IP address.
>> Indeed.  The OP emphasised that this is literally the invalid IP address
>> they put in. If the first three octets are correct then the prefix belongs
>> to a Czech internet exchange.
>>
>> I think the point was, how is PowerDNS expected to handle malformed IP
>> addresses? But without knowing the actual domain, we can't tell why they
>> started to get NXDOMAIN as the OP claimed, and not (for example) SERVFAIL or
>> NOERROR.
>>
>> I guess if they've already changed it and the problem has gone away, there's
>> nothing to be learned now.
>>

> yes, the invalid IP was on purpose, to disable the access to the domain's
> website.
> The point is, should pdns return SERVFAIL for ALL records because i inserted
> an invalid IP ADDRR in the domain's A record ?
> Shouldn't pdns just return the IP as it was inserted?

An 'A' RR is DNS is not just a database entry which can contain anything at
all; it has a defined format and valid values. It should not be surprising to
hear that PowerDNS Auth treated the entire zone as invalid when it found an
invalid A record value in the zone. There's a very good chance that it is not
actually possible for it to return '185.99.65.7777' in a response to a query
for an A record, since there are only 32 bits in the RDATA field for records of
type 'A'.