Hi Philip,
We do a real black magic, when generating stubs for all native PHP elements.
First of all, we use reflection mechanism for building a multi-array of all
existing elements. Then we refer to the PHPDoc for the documentation on
elements that were found. The problems that we run into are usually:

1. Reflection doesn't contain needed information (class properties,
namespaces, etc...)
2. PHPDoc XML is not standard in many cases (constant values, etc...)
3. Missing PHPDoc :)

You can look at this script for better understanding of what's happening:
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.pdt/plugins/org.eclipse.php.core/Resources/language/generate.php?root=Tools_Project&view=markup

<http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.pdt/plugins/org.eclipse.php.core/Resources/language/generate.php?root=Tools_Project&view=markup>Thanks
for the interest!
Michael