Info about subscribing or unsubscribing from this list is at the bottom of this
message.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Daffy Does Doom"
By MAUREEN DOWD

The New York Times
January 27, 2007

Dick Durbin went to the floor of the Senate on Thursday night to denounce
the vice president as ''delusional.''

It was shocking, and Senator Durbin should be ashamed of himself.

Delusional is far too mild a word to describe Dick Cheney. Delusional
doesn't begin to capture the profound, transcendental one-flew-over
daftness of the man.

Has anyone in the history of the United States ever been so singularly
wrong and misguided about such phenomenally important events and continued
to insist he's right in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary?

It requires an exquisite kind of lunacy to spend hundreds of billions
destroying America's reputation in the world, exhausting the U.S.
military, failing to catch Osama, enhancing Iran's power in the Middle
East and sending American kids to train and arm Iraqi forces so they can
work against American interests.

Only someone with an inspired alienation from reality could, under the
guise of exorcising the trauma of Vietnam, replicate the trauma of
Vietnam.

You must have a real talent for derangement to stay wrong every step of
the way, to remain in complete denial about Iraq's civil war, to have a
total misunderstanding of Arab culture, to be completely oblivious to the
American mood and to be absolutely blind to how democracy works.

In a democracy, when you run a campaign that panders to homophobia by
attacking gay marriage and then your lesbian daughter writes a book about
politics and decides to have a baby with her partner, you cannot tell Wolf
Blitzer he's ''out of line'' when he gingerly raises the hypocrisy of your
position.

Mr. Cheney acts more like a member of the James gang than the Jefferson
gang. Asked by Wolf what would happen if the Senate passed a resolution
critical of The Surge, Scary Cheney rumbled, ''It won't stop us.''

Such an exercise in democracy, he noted, would be ''detrimental from the
standpoint of the troops.''

Americans learned an important lesson from Vietnam about supporting the
troops even when they did not support the war. From media organizations to
Hollywood celebrities and lawmakers on both sides, everyone backs our
troops.

It is W. and Vice who learned no lessons from Vietnam, probably because
they worked so hard to avoid going. They rush into a war halfway around
the world for no reason and with no foresight about the culture or the
inevitable insurgency, and then assert that any criticism of their
fumbling management of Iraq and Afghanistan is tantamount to criticizing
the troops. Quel demagoguery.

''Bottom line,'' Vice told Wolf, ''is that we've had enormous successes,
and we will continue to have enormous successes.'' The biggest threat, he
said, is that Americans may not ''have the stomach for the fight.''

He should stop casting aspersions on the American stomach. We've had the
stomach for more than 3,000 American deaths in a war sold as a cakewalk.

If W. were not so obsessed with being seen as tough, Mr. Cheney could not
influence him with such tripe.

They are perpetually guided by the wrong part of the body. They are
consumed by the fear of looking as if they don't have guts, when they
should be compelled by the desire to look as if they have brains.

After offering Congress an olive branch in the State of the Union, the
president resumed mindless swaggering. Asked yesterday why he was
ratcheting up despite the resolutions, W. replied, ''In that I'm the
decision maker, I had to come up with a way forward that precluded
disaster.'' (Or preordained it.)

The reality of Iraq, as The Times's brilliant John Burns described it to
Charlie Rose this week, is that a messy endgame could be far worse than
Vietnam, leading to ''a civil war on a scale with bloodshed that will
absolutely dwarf what we're seeing now,'' and a ''wider conflagration,
with all kinds of implications for the world's flow of oil, for the state
of Israel. What happens to King Abdullah in Jordan if there's complete
chaos in the region?''

Mr. Cheney has turned his perversity into foreign policy.

He assumes that the more people think he's crazy, the saner he must be. In
Dr. No's nutty world-view, anti-Americanism is a compliment. The proof
that America is right is that everyone thinks it isn't.

He sees himself as a prophet in the wilderness because he thinks anyone in
the wilderness must be a prophet.

To borrow one of his many dismissive words, it's hogwash.
web address to view the list's archives or to unsubscribe.

E-mail accounts that become full, inactive or out of order for more than a few
days will become disabled or deleted from this list.

FAIR USE NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the
information in this e-mail is distributed without profit to those who have
expressed a prior interest in receiving it for research and educational
purposes.  I am making such material available in an effort to advance
understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy,
scientific, and social justice issues, etc. I believe this constitutes a 'fair
use' of copyrighted material as provided for in the US Copyright Law.