Info about subscribing or unsubscribing from this list is at the bottom of this
message.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SAY NO TO CYPRESS MULCH

The “Save Our Cypress” coalition, a group of environmental groups in
Louisiana, is requesting that Wal-Mart, Home Depot and Lowe’s immediately
cease all sales of cypress mulch products.

Coalition members contend that Louisiana’s coastal protection is being
harvested for garden mulch. The endangered cypress-tupelo swamps are being
clear-cut to feed the mulch industry.

“As the nation’s largest retailers, Wal-Mart, Home Depot and Lowe’s have
the power to dramatically reduce needless destruction of cypress forests,”
says Leslie March, chair of the Delta (Louisiana) Chapter of the Sierra
Club. “We are calling on these three retailers to live up to their own
corporate policies of sustainability and stop selling cypress mulch.”

The Save Our Cypress Coalition is asking the retailers to stop selling all
cypress mulch products until a credible, third-party verification system
is operating to ensure that no cypress mulch products are being sourced
from non-renewable cypress swamps. “At this time, there is no way to tell
where the cypress mulch comes from,” says March. “Mulch that we know was
harvested in Louisiana has been sold under the Florida Gold label.”

Cypress forests are an important barrier to the devastation wrought by
hurricanes, says Gary Shafer, Ph.D., professor of biological sciences at
Southeastern Louisiana University, Hammond. “Satellite imagery shows that
while many trees were downed in the winds of Katrina and Rita, cypress
forests stood strong and protected the rest of the ecosystem. The coastal
wetland forests also play an effective role in absorbing storm surge and
flooding.”

Cypress mulch is not the superior product claimed by manufacturers.
Alternatives such as pine straw, pine bark nuggets and mulch provide the
benefits of mulch without destroying coastal wetlands. Despite other
available options, whole cypress trees are being used for mulch and acres
of swamps are being clear-cut to produce mulch.

“Cypress forest in Louisiana already are in danger,” says Dr. Shafer.
“There are many swamps that will never grow back once they are cut.”

For more information, visit http://www.saveourcypress.org
web address to view the list's archives or to unsubscribe.

E-mail accounts that become full, inactive or out of order for more than a few
days will become disabled or deleted from this list.

FAIR USE NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the
information in this e-mail is distributed without profit to those who have
expressed a prior interest in receiving it for research and educational
purposes.  I am making such material available in an effort to advance
understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy,
scientific, and social justice issues, etc. I believe this constitutes a 'fair
use' of copyrighted material as provided for in the US Copyright Law.