(My apologies if these came through more than once. I’d sent them from the 
wrong email address and despite resending them didn’t see them appear in my 
feed)


On Jul 3, 2014, at 4:03 PM, Benjamin Udell <[email protected]> wrote:

> You're mixing apples and oranges, using the word 'sign' equivocally. 
> Saussure's 'sign' is not Peirce's 'sign' or even Peirce's 'symbol'; 
> Saussure's 'sign' is Peirce's 'linguistic symbol'.

Even there Saussure has limits that Peirce would never countenance. It’s best 
to just not conflate the two. Peirce just thinks so differently that even where 
you find similarity it’s easy to be mislead by the similarity.

I’m trying to recall a really good overview of this. I think Eco has a few 
places he goes through differences, although I’m not always happy with some of 
Eco’s presentations of semiotics. However I *think* he does relate Peirce to 
other thinkers in his chapter on “Symbol” in Semiotics and the Philosophy of 
Language. It’s been 15 years since I read it last though, and my memory was 
that he makes errors in various places in it.

This appears to get at certain other aspects of the comparison

http://www.indiana.edu/~slavicgf/e103/assignments/Chandler_ch1_pt2.pdf

I’ve only glanced through it quickly, but it seems like the author is very good 
about noting certain inconsistencies of terminological use by both Saussure and 
Peirce which can waylay those not as experienced with each. The author also 
notes that Peirce’s dialogical thinking is missing from Saussure. I should also 
note it tends to be missing even from a lot of contemporary philosophy of 
language - leading to various types of error. Thus the problems with say 
Searle’s approach to systematize Austin’s speech acts. 

Going back to Sungchul’s point, I think this is important when considering 
mathematics and physics. Consider Peirce’s “Prolegomena to an Apology for 
Pragmaticism”

Thought is not necessarily connected with a brain. It appears in the work of 
bees, of crystals, and throughout the purely physical world; and one can no 
more deny that it is really there, than that the colors, the shapes, etc., of 
objects are really there. Consistently adhere to that unwarrantable denial, and 
you will be driven to some form of idealistic nominalism akin to Fichte's. Not 
only is thought in the organic world, but it develops there. But as there 
cannot be a General without Instances embodying it, so there cannot be thought 
without Signs. We must here give "Sign" a very wide sense, no doubt, but not 
too wide a sense to come within our definition. Admitting that connected Signs 
must have a Quasi-mind, it may further be declared that there can be no 
isolated sign. Moreover, signs require at least two Quasi-minds; a 
Quasi-utterer and a Quasi-interpreter; and although these two are at one (i.e., 
are one mind) in the sign itself, they must nevertheless be distinct. In the 
Sign they are, so to say, welded. Accordingly, it is not merely a fact of human 
Psychology, but a necessity of Logic, that every logical evolution of thought 
should be dialogic. You may say that all this is loose talk; and I admit that, 
as it stands, it has a large infusion of arbitrariness. It might be filled out 
with argument so as to remove the greater part of this fault; but in the first 
place, such an expansion would require a volume - and an uninviting one; and in 
the second place, what I have been saying is only to be applied to a slight 
determination of our system of diagrammatization, which it will only slightly 
affect; so that, should it be incorrect, the utmost certain effect will be a 
danger that our system may not represent every variety of non-human thought. 
(CP 4.551)

The place of a quasi-mind seems rather pertinent in understanding the 
surprising relationship between say physics and mathematics. Again, I suspect 
Peirce’s ontology is the most controversial part of his thought. Most 
philosophers are rather disparaging to it. However it does make such matters 
rather understandable. Even if one treats these only as virtual I think it 
renders certain mysterious matters rather intelligible. Without dialogical 
thinking so much about semiotics becomes mysterious. Thus we’re left asking why 
they world seems so mathematical. However if we recognize the world as a system 
under semiosis - a system in dialog - then rather than being mysterious we see 
it as natural.



-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to