Post   : ¿Shifting Paradigms? • 3
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2014/08/22/shifting-paradigms-%e2%80%a2-3/
Author : Jon Awbrey

Peircers,

A few thoughts on mathematical inquiry
that arose in connection with a number
of perennial issues ...

Re: Harvey Friedman • Good Math
At: http://www.cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2014-August/018098.html

Speaking of mathematics in the context of “general intellectual activity”
brings to mind Raymond Wilder's take on “mathematics as a cultural system”.

☞ http://www-history.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/Biographies/Wilder.html

I would like to keep that in mind, if on a back burner, and focus on a more
directed species of intellectual activity that goes under the name of “inquiry”,
the flower of which species we know as “scientific method”, however much method
or
madcap various lights may see in it.  Whatever the case, that brings us to the
task of placing mathematical inquiry within the sphere of inquiry in general.

Here I can do no better than recommend C.S. Peirce's theory of inquiry
as one of the best tacks we can take for approaching this task.

Jon Awbrey

--

academia: http://independent.academia.edu/JonAwbrey
my word press blog: http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/