Changing subject line as per John’s request - I have questions on Frederik's
chapter but I had to wait until I had a copy of the introduction first. I love
what I’ve read thus. Wish I could justify buying the whole book as Frederik’s
work seems very much tied to my own interests in Peirce’s semiotics and
Husserl/Heideggarian phenomenology. Particularly the place of indices and
icons. There’s a lot to digest in the introduction and I’ve been particularly
swamped at work this week.

> On Sep 5, 2014, at 6:26 AM, Edwina Taborsky <tabor...@primus.ca> wrote:
>
> And since semiosis includes Mind/reasoning - that means that Mind operates in
> all matter...and in all three categorical modes. And this is certainly not
> neoplatonism.

Kelly Parker’s argument (and I recognize not all buy it) is The Ascent of Soul
to Nous: Charles S. Peirce as Neoplatonist. Looks like it just got put backup
online ungated.

http://agora.phi.gvsu.edu/kap/Neoplatonism/csp-plot.html
<http://agora.phi.gvsu.edu/kap/Neoplatonism/csp-plot.html>

It’s been a number of years since I last studied it carefully. So my memory is
a tad fuzzy in a few places. I do recall there being one or two key places
where I think his argument outstrips his evidence. But it’s an extremely
worthwhile paper to read. It definitely changed how I think about Peirce.

These aren’t the only neoPlatonic themes in Peirce. Reading Peirce Reading does
a nice job on some as well. And surprisingly that appears to be online
temporarily as well. (Get it while you can - it’s a fantastic little book)

http://web.eecs.utk.edu/~tmoore/docs/smyth/RPR-24Aug96.pdf

> 2) Then, there are some who define the actions that take place among atoms
> and molecules as purely reactive, actions of Secondness; i.e., that no
> 'reasoning' process takes place. They may, as does Clark Goble, admit that
> mediation (Thirdness) plays a role but it is a non-cognitive mode.
>
> John Deely simply rejects Mind within the physical realm and considers their
> interactions, if I understand him, pure acts of Secondness - dyadic
> interactions with no mediation and of course, no Mind.

I suspect we’re still on semantics here and what we mean by cognition. But I
know this is an endlessly circling debate so I’ll not push it more.

Does John simply attribute secondness to the physical realm? That’s not how I
read him, but perhaps I was in error. It seems to me that when we consider the
interaction of two particles we can conceive of them in terms of both
secondness and thirdness. A lot depends upon what level we are considering I
think - that is what abstractions, simplifications and modeling we are doing
for our particular discussion at that time. Perhaps I’m wrong but I assume John
would, like me, see all three categories always in play.

That is I see our discourse and its form very much tied to the topics we’re
discussing. That is the aspects of reality we are interested in at that moment.