Re: Frederik Stjernfelt
At: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/13901

Exactly.

And this is one of those places where we have to watch out for the possibility of a backward step, where it is very tempting to fall back on the "Mirror Of Nature Theory Of Science" (MONTOS) and the "Iconic Doctrine Of Language" (IDOL). ;)

The diagrammatic and dynamic qualities of Peirce's logic, as epitomized in the entitative and existential interpretations of his logical graphs, were chief among the features that drew me to explore his logical systems from the very beginning of my studies. But analogies and icons all break in time, at one point or another, and it is only their embedding in a more fluid and robust symbolic matrix that makes it possible for us to use them where they fit and to set them aside when they fail.

Regards,

Jon

Frederik Stjernfelt wrote:
Dear Jon, list -
I also remarked that in McCulloch.
You're right about the less than straightforward relation between logical
consequence and temporal sequence … If the two were identical, mental processes
probably would be unable to address contents different from those processes …
Best

Den 04/09/2014 kl. 16.10 skrev Jon Awbrey