I think that this is a really valuable point, Ben, and I think that an
application of it bears very directly on discussions of psychologism and
anti-psychologism in Peirce. Despite having opposed psychologism from the
outset, Peirce was happy to pursue psychological solutions to some problems in
logic. What's crucial here is to keep clear about the status of such solutions.
When Peirce criticized his argument for the pragmatic maxim in 1877-78 for
resting on a psychological principle, he was not, in my estimation, accusing
his past self of psychologism. There are many reasons for this, starting with
the fact that we'd have to come up with an explanation of how someone who
railed against psychologism in the 1860's slipped into it in the 1870's. There
are also clear anti-psychologistic claims in the stage-setting sections of
"Fixation" and "How To" themselves. In the passage from the Minute Logic that
Frederik quotes on p. 28 and in the later self-criticism I've already alluded
to, it's pretty clear that by "psychological" treatments of logical matters,
Peirce has in mind thinking about reasoning in terms of belief and action.
There's nothing wrong about starting from claims about belief and action in
order to establish certain logical norms, provided that one doesn't reduce the
norms to that way of embodying reasoning. As you suggest below, Ben, it's a
matter of a consilience of arguments. Peirce doesn't want his 1877-78 argument
to be treated as the deepest or the only  way of establishing such norms as the
pragmatic maxim, but he's not accusing himself of circularity or relativism or
the other vices of psychologism. If one doesn't attend carefully to the details
of Peirce's self-assessments, he can seem inconsistent or confused about his
position with respect to psychologism.

Best,

Jeff