JA:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/14350
JA:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/14351
JA:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/14352
JA:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/14359
GF:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/14383
JLRC:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/14388

Jerry,

Thanks for addressing the substance ...

The object I had in mind for this thread appears to have gotten lost in the intervening fray, so let me go back and repeat what I said in the beginning:

As I read, read again, and scan ahead through Frederik's book, I find the issues it raises very stimulating and its overall perspective very "amen"-able, if you will, from my customary spot in the amen corner. If I appear too often or only critical, it is probably because I don't normally find I have anything pressing to add until we come to a point of divergence from the overall accord.

At this point in our reading, I can already see "the garden of forking paths", normally such delight to ramble through, threatening to overgrow our sight of the end-in-view we wandered into these woods to reach.

One thing that helps me in situations like that is to copy out selected passages from the source text, the ones that seem to light up as I read them the first time, before my vision is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought and too much bandying of words about.

So I'm going to set aside this thread for that. Don't worry if a lot of the passages I collect here come from different points in the book than we happen to be discussing at any given time, or from other sources that may come to mind. There is no need to bother with them until such time as their bearing on present business becomes evident.

It had been my wish to go through the issues in a careful, critical, methodical, and even plodding manner if that's what it takes to resolve them even a little. But maybe the time is not ripe for that yet, and I have in the meantime been drawn into other, equally engaging, engagements. So let me just make a few off-the-cuff remarks that come to mind.

As I recall, I began with Frederik's citation of Hilpinen's citation of Peirce:

• http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/14350

To which I added the following thoughts:

Points and questions that come to mind on reading this selection:

Assertion. Brings to mind my first university course in logic (Stoll, perhaps). Based on what I later learned was a tradition extending from Frege to Quine, the text made a distinction between considering or contemplating a proposition and actually asserting it. This was invoked, for example, to explain the difference between a conditional (→) and an implication (⇒). I would eventually find more sensible ways of understanding this.

Force. Seriously, experience has forced me to realize that nothing can truly force anything to be an icon or force anyone to regard anything as an icon.

Independently and Separately. These concepts require definition. As a rule, logicians and mathematicians do not define them the same way normal people do.

In puzzling over the paragraph that FS quoted from KS I thought it might help to examine a bit more context. So I went back to my NEM copy of KS and there it was already lined in the margin. So I reckoned that I had probably already put it on line sometime. As it turned out I had already done that back in 2005. For my part, having a parsed-out copy on hand by link with the full context in which we had been discussing it before is one part of what I need to figure out what is going on there.

So I posted the link and text:

• http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/14351http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/2005-November/003187.html

The reason I keep using these links is not just for the sake of one bit of text or another, but because they link into a context of quotations, commentary, and discussion from a time when I had far more time for these particular inquiries than I am ever likely to have again and when I was far more deeply immersed in the issues that I can afford at present. So I must continue to beg indulgence for that and I suggest it's just possible that others may derive good gain from my recycling efforts.

Springing from this text, the following questions came to mind:

• http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/14352

Pure Icon and Pure Index.  What in the world could those be?
And how could a "degenerate" something be a "pure" anything?
And while we're at it, must there also be pure symbols, too?

Peirce more or less finesses the first two questions with his statement that:

 > | Absolutely unexceptionable examples of degenerate forms
 > | must not be expected.  All that is possible is to give
 > | examples which tend sufficiently in towards those
 > | forms to make the mean suggest what is meant.

That may work for the specious signs but does it apply to the genus of symbols?

With that da capo and recap I can now restore the context and continuity of the present point in space-time-&-mind.

Regards,

Jon

List, Jon:

--