Hi Gary F.,

What is the difference between saying that every dicisign involves an
intention, and saying that every dicisign involves (or is somehow related to) a
purpose?  My untutored assumption is that 'purpose' is the more general term,
and the word 'intention' refers to a species of purpose.  T.L. Short and others
have tried to clarify these two concepts, but I must admit that I'm not
entirely clear on the relation between the two.

Perhaps we should distinguish between different ways that the word 'intention'
is used in Peirce's texts.  There is the common meaning that is expressed when
I say, for instance, that my intention in writing the sentences above is to
engage in a discussion with colleagues in the hopes of improving our shared
understanding of these questions.  There is also the more technical meaning of
the term that is involved in the distinction between first and second
intentions in the theory of logic.

I assume that, when you are talking about the intentions of the interpreter,
that you are drawing on the common meaning of the word.  If you meant it in the
more technical sense of a first or second intention, that would be good to
spell out.

--Jeff

Jeff Downard
Associate Professor