From: Joseph Brenner [mailto:joe.bren...@bluewin.ch]
Sent: 1-Nov-14 5:04 AM
To: biosemiot...@lists.ut.ee; Jerry LR Chandler
Cc: Peirce List; biosemiot...@lists.ut.ee
Subject: [biosemiotics:7324] Re: Natural Propositions

Dear Colleagues,

Sungchul wrote:

(6) Peirce seems to give an alternative definition of "dicisign" as
> extensively quoted in NP as a composite sign having both iconic and
> indexical characters, in violation of his own selection rule embodied
> int he triadic triad table.

Where signs are 'composite', that is, composed of two or more elements and
these are not purely linguistic propositions but structures-in-nature, this
fact leaves the further door open to their interaction and probability of
mutual change. Look for example at Peirce's discussion of personality and
communication in "The Law of Mind". We could not be farther here from the
cold entries in any 3X3 (or 9X10) matrix. As one goes from propositions to
'quasi-propositions', one moves, as with Krause's paraconsistent
'quasi-individuals', closer to the dynamic characteristics of real physical
processes.

Peirce's inconsistencies are often presented as marginal to his main system
of thought. I believe, on the contrary that they, and his 'movement' between
them, are central to it. Whether or not they are recognized as such or
stated as 'doubts', by Peirce or others, Peirce opens the door, implicitly
or explicitly, to the existence of other systems, with other foundations.
Perhaps in the vast literature someone has speculated on Peirce's own
psychology in this regard.

Thank you.

Joseph