At 04:45 AM 11/4/2014, Frederik Stjernfelt wrote:

I stumbled over a text bite [Edwina and Howard] from mid-October which gave me the idea that there may be some terminological confusion at the root of some of our discussions.

HP: I'm sure that is the case. We also have a cultural difference over the creative vs. normative functions of epistemologies. I don't expect to resolve the difference, but at least is should be
recognized and hopefully understood.

HP (10/20/14): More generally, do the symbols of the genes code only nominalistically for specific amino acids, or do they code realistically foruniversal functions like catalysis and self-replication? The evidence seems clear that gene symbols code for both, as well as many other conditional and control activites that can't be called either specific or universal.

FS: Here, Howard couples nominalism/ realism with specific/ universal. But this is strange to me.

HP: Let me try to explain why a physicist's "opportunistic epistemology" seems strange to most philosophers. What I was trying to point out is that for physicists the object of the symbolic information in the genetic sequences, or in any theory, cannot be restricted by, or predisposed to, any general exclusive epistemological interpretations, such as exclusive realism or exclusive nominalism (or exclusive idealism, empiricism, constructivism, materialism, and on and on).

Why not? Because the issue always comes down to: What is real and what exists? The problem is that relativity and quantum theory do not allow a single logical or sensible model of reality. Feynmann: "We choose to examine a phenomenon which is impossible, absolutely impossible, to explain in any classical way, and which has in it the heart of quantum mechanics."

Now I agree that you should not be doing physics, but even the classical philosophical concepts of reality are empirically undecidable visions. This is most directly evidenced by the fact that philosophers have been unable to decide on any single vision in spite of >2500 years of vigorous disputations over all sorts of epistemologies; and historically it appears that almost any experience can be envisioned by almost any epistemology.

However, I emphasize that lack of a universal epistemology does not mean that each specific case (theory, model, proposition, etc.) can not have one or more particular epistemologies that are consistent with the evidence for that case, and that may add creative meanings to the model. Hence, the "opportunism," (Presently in QM there are at least six, e.g., see <http://www.amazon.com/Elegance-Enigma-Interviews-Frontiers-Collection/dp/3642208797/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1415244433&sr=1-3&keywords=schlosshauer>Elegance and Enigma, p. 19 et seq.)

That is why I keep quoting Hertz ("As a matter of fact, we do not know, nor have we any means of knowing, whether our conception of things are in conformity with them . . . etc."), and also Poincaré, Einstein, Born, Polanyi, and even Peirce as a scientist: "the power that connects the conditions of the mathematicians diagram with the relations he observes in it is just as occult and mysterious to us as the power of Nature that brings about the results of the chemical experiment." The obvious question is: If the diagram's relation to reality is that "occult and mysterious," how can you claim to know for sure what the "real" relation is? That mystery is one reason we invent so many epistemologies.

FS: Conversely, realism could not be the claim that signs refer to the most general functions as in Howard's quote.

HP: I don't know what you mean by "most general function"? I mentioned self-replication. Is that not a general function of life? I don't see what difference a belief in realism or nominalism would make in understanding von Neumann's self-replication model or in understanding a living cell.

FS: Realism is the claim that some predicates (or "codes") refer to real structures of the world ("round" has its fundamentum in re in the existence of round objects, "iron" has its fundamentum in re in the existence of objects made out of iron).

HP: I think Nominalists could just as persuasively argue that round objects (i.e., circles) do not exist in Nature, and that iron is just a name classifying certain useful collections of fundamental particles. My point is that in both cases, none of the key words are unambiguously defined, and the argument is not decidable and goes nowhere.

FS: But I think I can see where Howard is heading in the quote. I think he is right that gene symbols code for functions both on a specific and a more general level - on several levels of generality, as it were. But all functions are general.This lies in the fact that several, numerically distinct events or processes can serve the same function.

HP: All our models of the structure-function relation are many-to-many. One function can be performed by many structures, and one structure can perform many functions. But who or what decides if a structure is functional?

FS: As with Peirce's example : baking an apple pie, you (and the recipe you follow) have only a general conception of the cake you intend. Many different, idividual baking processes may satisfy the recipe. The recipe speaks of, e.g. "4 apples", not about "4 particular, identifiable apples found on a particular branch on a particular tree in a particular orchard in Massachusetts at a particular date". - But the resulting cake is not general.

HP: I think that is how I would view it. I would agree there are many ways to bake a cake, and recipes can have all degrees of generality, but I call any recipe vehicle real. I say my material brain's image of the cake is also real, but the cake itself does not exist until I execute the recipe or the image. Fortunately, cooks do not think this way.

Howard