List, Ben:

On Jan 17, 2015, at 11:59 AM, Benjamin Udell wrote:
> My sense of it is that Peirce does not push the idea that mathematicals are
> real.

Thanks, Ben. This is a critical thought, at least to me.  It is of substantial
importance for interpreting the relations between CSP's notion of a sign and
many modern notions of mathematical signs.

If one seeks to analysis the trichotomistic components of a sign, (QS - SS -
LS, Icon - index - symbol, R - D - A),
one notes that the selected trichotomies do NOT use mathematic terminology.

But, the concept of an index necessitates the separation of the whole (sinsign)
into parts and the concept of the medad (in his iconic graphs of logical
sentences) infers the counting of the terms composing the sinsign.  (As noted
previously, an index is necessary for enumerating the parts of the whole, such
as CSP usage of the common notions of molecular weight and molecular formula.)
These in term are necessary to specify CSP's specification of a component of a
sign which he names "Rheme".

Thus, these CSP's trichotomies refer to the index/medad/count properties of the
components of a sign but NOT to calculations of arithmetic or calculus of the
real numbers.

One conjectures that CSP constructed these trichotomistic views of signs in
such a manner as to clearly separate and distinguish his notion of logic from
his notion of mathematics.  I suppose that mathematical terms were excluded
from these trichotomies purposefully, potentially as an expression of his
understanding of the external nature of signs (QS-SS) and the trichotomy of
objects, signs and interpretations.

> Here's an example, from _Writings_ 6:255:
> The reasonings and conclusions of the mathematician do not in the least
> depend upon there being in the real world any such objects as those which he
> supposes. The devoted mathematician cares little for the real world. He lives
> in a world of ideas; and his heart vibrates to the saying of his brother
> Plato that actuality is the roof of a dark and sordid cave which shuts out
> from our direct view the splendors and beauties of the vast and more truly
> real world,—the world of forms beyond. A great mathematician of our day said
> with gustful emphasis: "A great satisfaction in the study of the theory of
> numbers is that it never has been, and never can be, prostituted to any
> practical application whatever."
> [End quote]
Many modern physicists and computer scientists often presuppose the CONTRARY to
the last sentence of this quote and presuppose that the meaning of signs can be
encoded into numbers. Indeed, the success of computer science and Shannon
information theory is directly dependent on encoding signs into numbers and
hence numbers into electrical signals and hence into transmissible forms that
can then be decoded from numbers into signs, signs into symbols and symbols
into icons.  This is a powerful and useful set of concepts, but it has severe
limitations.

Cheers

Jerry