From: sji.confor...@gmail.com [mailto:sji.confor...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of
Sungchul Ji
Sent: January 28, 2015 6:46 AM
To: biosemiotics
Cc: PEIRCE-L
Subject: [PEIRCE-L] Re: [biosemiotics:8004] Degeneracy article

(Table 1 may be disorganized on transit.)

John,

The paper you recommend is one of the most informative scholarly articles I
have ever read.  I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in learning
about the 21st-century biology.

In the article, the author, Mason,  defines "degeneracy" as follows:

"duplicate structures that differentiate yet remain isofunctional"
                                                    (012715-11)

"unrelated isofunctional structures that are dispersed endogenously or
exogenously"                                    (012715-12)

"variable arrangements of interacting structures that achieve the same output
through multiple pathways"     (012715-13)

"parcellation of a structure into subunits that can still variably perform the
same initial function"                      (012715-14)

To the best of my knowledge, in physics and mathematics, the concept of
degeneracy appears in the following form:

"A and B are degenerate with respect to C, if the elements of A can be mapped
or related                               (012715-15)
to those of B while preserving some property or process C."

This definition of degeneracy reminded me of the definition of category given
in (Brown, R. and T. Porter (2006),
Category Theory: an abstract setting for analogy and comparison, In: What is
Category Theory?, Advanced
Studies in Mathematics and Logic, Polimetrica Publisher, Italy, (2006)
257-274.2006):

“We view a category as giving a fairly general abstract context for comparison.
The                           (012715-16)
objects of study are the objects of the category. Two objects, A and B, can be
compared
if the set C(A,B) is non-empty and various arrows A ---> B are ‘ways of
comparing them’.
The composition corresponds to: If we can compare A with B and B with C, we
should
be able to compare A with C.”

In other words, Mason's "degeneracy" defined in (012715-11) through (012715-14)
can be generalized as shown in (012715-15), which can

then be connected to the concept of "category" in mathematics as defined in
(012715-16) and to the Peircean sign which

I claim can be viewed as a category.  Thus, all these ideas may be viewed as
different manifestations of the principle of the
irreducible triad of Peirce or the commutative triangle of category theory, as
summarized in Table 1 below.

Table 1.  The irreducible triadicity in  biology, mathematics, linguistics,
physics, and semiotics.

     Field                A                        B
   C                   Name of the Relation

1.  Biology            structure 1           structure 2
function          degeneracy

2.  Mathematics    object 1               object 2                      object
3          category

3.  Linguistics       word 1                 word 2
sentence         paradigmatic relation

4.  Physics            particle 1             particle 2
energy            degeneracy

5.  Semiotics         object                sign/representamen
interpretant      semiosis

It may be concluded that the first row of this table is the type called
"ur-category" and the Rows 1 through 5 are
its "token categories".  If this conclusion turns out to be valid upon further
scrutiny,

"The concept of category may unify biology, mathematics, linguistics, physics,
and semiotics."                   (012715-17)

Again, if it can be proven, Statement (012715-17) may deserve to be called the
"Grand Unified Theory of Sciences" (GUTS), a gutsy theory indeed.

All the best.

Sung
Sungchul Ji, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
Rutgers University
Piscataway, N.J. 08855
732-445-4701<tel:732-445-4701>

www.conformon.net<http://www.conformon.net/>

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 4:00 AM, John Collier