From: sji.confor...@gmail.com [mailto:sji.confor...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of
Sungchul Ji
Sent: January 28, 2015 7:06 PM
To: John Collier
Cc: Peirce Discussion Forum (PEIRCE-L@list.iupui.edu); biosemiot...@lists.ut.ee
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] A question about the triadic relation of Sign

John, Gary R, Edwina, Jeff, lists,

I wan to address the question whether or not the representamen can be viewed as
a process.  To do this, I will use the communication between the utterer and
the hearer (which Peirce often used) as a concrete model of semiosis:

                                              f                           g
                           Utterer  --------------->  Sound  ------------>
Hearer

      ^

                               |_______________________________|

  Figure 1.  The communication between the utterer and hearer.  f =
vocalization of ideas; g = interpretation of sound pattern; h = information
flow.

                                              f                           g
                           Utterer  --------------->  Sound  ------------>
Hearer
                           (Object)                    (Sign)
(Interpretant)

            ^

                                |__________________________________|

Figure 2.  The postulate that communication is a token of semiosis viewed as a
type called "irreducible triad", "commutative triangle" or "mathematical
category".  f = sign produciton; g = sign interpretation; h = information flow.

If Figure 2 is right, we can conclude that

"The sign, also called the representamen, is a carrier of information, such as
spoken                                               (012815-1)
or written words."

Several corollaries of (012815-1) may be inferred:

"The representamen is not a process, just as written words are not."
                                                             (012815-2)

"The sign is the name given to the process of semiosis which is irreducibly
triadic; i.e., the                                        (012815-3)
three processes of sign production (f), sign interpretation (g) and information
flow (h) must
commute as defined in the mathematical theory of categories."

"Semiosis can be described as an example of the input-transformation-output
(ITO) process from                                 (012815-4)
the point of view of the hearer, in which case the sign is an 'input', the
sign-induced brain processes
in the hearer is 'transformation' and the response of the hearer would be the
'output'. A similar ITO
process can be envisioned for the utterer but not for the representamen such as
written words, since
words are equilibrium structures that are prevented by the laws of
thermodynamics from performing
any work, including transformation and mediation."

All the best.

Sung

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 2:18 AM, John Collier