In semiotics, you need to argue, at a general, logical level, as to why sign, object, and interpretant aren't enough. I myself argued long and often for their insufficiency many years ago here at peirce-l, but I didn't convince anybody, although I may have convinced a few people that I've raised a certain issue or two that Peircean semiotics needs to deal with. Sign and interpretant, said Peirce often enough in his later years, do not convey acquaintance or experience with their object. So how does one form an acquaintance or acquire experience with an object? Through other signs and interpretants? - but these also do not convey acquaintance or experience with their object. One's collateral experience with the object helps determine the sign to an interpretant, but sign and interpretant still do not convey acquaintance, experience, or familiarity with the object. Now, there's an analogy that some have noticed between 'source, encoding, decoding' and 'object, sign, interpretant'. Shannon's communication scenario includes a fourth "processing" stage, the destination. So I'd look for something analogous in semiosis. If you actually pursue that, you'll end up pursuing revisions of Peirce's classifications of signs, interpetants, the whole thing. I've done only a little. It's complicated stuff.

Well, that's more than I've said in many years about issues of experience and collateral experience in Peircean semiotics. I don't think that I'll have much energy for defending my notions. But let it be said that I never got thrown off peirce-l for voicing these ideas in the past at peirce-l. I stopped arguing it partly because I thought the argumentation was starting to dominate peirce-l and I thought that that was bad for peirce-l.

Best, Ben

On 2/2/2015 1:04 PM, marccu s wrote:

Subjectivity or subject is a kind of mode of being like firstness, secondness and thirdness. Those modes of being includes continuous information formation within subject which can recognize himself as real. This mode of being called subject, human being, is in relation to other subjects and objects. But most of peircean semioticians ignore the subject. In a case human being, this is a fourth mode of being. It includes networked information processes - it can remember how it was to be before and how it wants to be in future and so on. Further there are different kind of modes of being in relation to other subjects and objects. Thats why peircen categories are not enough.

sorry my english, kindly, markku

Lähetetty laitteesta Windowsin sähköposti

*Lähettäjä:* Gary Fuhrman
*Lähetetty:* lauantai‎, ‎31‎. ‎tammikuuta‎ ‎2015 ‎17‎:‎16
*Vast.ott:* peirce-l@list.iupui.edu <mailto:peirce-l@list.iupui.edu>

markku, Janos,

I used the term “generated thought” because Janos used it, and I was trying to explain the point in his own terms. As such it’s different from Peirce’s “Thought”, which is more generator than generated.

I’m not sure I understand your question well enough to answer it, but … you say that

“If we follow Locke [I think you must mean Peirce] there is no cognition outside triadic sign and in the other way you say that perception is cognition.” You seem to see an inconsistency that I don’t see. Perhaps you don’t see perception as semiotic, and indeed that’s not the only way of looking at perception. But as far as I know, for both Locke and Peirce, cognition depends on perception. Perception becomes cognition by way of the perceptual judgement, which is the recognition of a perceived object as belonging to an already-known type or combination of types. Thus perception is /continuous with/ cognition; and cognition is continuous with semiosis. I’ve read quite a bit of cognitive science, neuroscience etc., and I haven’t come across any well-supported theories in that field that are incompatible with Peircean semiotics.

Peirce of course rejected the idea of a /tabula rasa/, but I don’t see what that has to do with signs as triadic relations.

gary f.