Jerry, list,

Jerry, thanks for this very handy "survey of atomism," as you phrased it.

As for Peirce being "a follower of Boscovich," there are only a very few
mentions of him in the CP, mainly in relation to Kant's logic. There are
some brief remarks on "Boschovichian points" in the 1898 Cambridge Lectures
(published as *Reasoning and the Logic of Things, *edited by Kenneth Laine
Ketner with an "Introduction" by Ketner and Hillary Putnam).

CP 6.82.Would not the human race, supposing that it could survive the shock
at all, be pretty sure to develop a new form of intuition in which the
things that now appear near would appear far? For what is the real truth of
nearness? Who is my neighbor? Is it not he with whom I intimately react? In
short, the suggested explanation is that space is that form of intuition in
which is presented the law of the mutual reaction of those objects whose
mode of existence consists in mutually reacting. Let us see how much this
hypothesis will explain. What are its necessary consequences? I must
abridge the reasoning to a mere sketch. In the first place space, as a
presentation of law, must be continuous and without singularities. In the
second place, since reaction is essentially hic et nunc, or anti-general,
it follows that the reacting objects must be entirely independent of one
another in their purely spatial determinations. That is, *one object being
in one particular place in no way requires another object to be in any
particular place. From this again it necessarily follows that each object
occupies a single point of space, so that matter must consist of
Boscovichian atomicules, whatever their multitude may be.* On the same
principle it furthermore follows that any law among the reactions must
involve some other continuum than merely Space alone. Why Time should be
that other continuum I shall hope to make clear when we come to consider
Time.

In the third place, since Space has the mode of being of a law, not that of
a reacting existent, it follows that it cannot be the law that, in the
absence of reaction, a particle shall adhere to its place; for that would
be attributing to it an attraction for that place. Whence it follows that
in so far as a particle is not acted upon by another, that which it retains
is a relation between space and time. . . . (RLT, 212).

One ought compare these remarks with the note on Boscovich's understanding
of the atom in the brief survey you referenced.

Roger Boscovich <http://www.eoht.info/page/Roger+Boscovich>
(1711-1787) Developed
a 'theory of point atoms', a modified type of Newtonian atomic theory of
inelastic collisions regarding atoms as centers of forces rather than as
particles <http://www.eoht.info/page/Particle>. His 1763 book *Theoria
Philosophiae Naturalis*, outlined a 'stationary atom' theory, which
reasoned that at short range, atoms attracted each other, but that at
longer range, atoms pushed each other way, the latter aspect explaining gas
pressure

Of the above passage from RLT (and a few other related ones), Putnam writes
(in "Comments on the Lectures":

Peirce clearly anticipated that it would take fundamental new ideas to
penetrate to the nature of "molecules and ether," to get down to the level
of "Boschovichian atomicules" (the point particles, which Peirce believed
to be the ultimate constituents of matter), and to answer questions about
the geometry and topology of space. Not only was he right about this, as
relativity theory and quantum mechanics have shown, but he was also right
that these new ideas would never be found by merely trying to extend
Newtonian dynamics to smaller and smaller regions (RLT, 86).

Best,

Gary

[image: Gary Richmond]

*Gary Richmond*