At 07:04 AM 4/28/2015, Frederik Stjernfelt wrote:

[Howard's] questions about your view:
(1) What "parts of nature" do you include in "naturalization of semiotics"?
I am not sure I understand the question. I do not think the results of mathematics are a human invention. I think mathematics is part of nature in the sense that it contains structures which are as they are without human agency - no matter whether they have physical realizations or not. They may be seen as hypothetical or modal in order to avoid naive Platonism.
(2) Do you think of mathematics and logic as a part of (subset) of semiotics?
No. I rather think semiotics is a subset of logic in Peirce's broad epistemological conception of logic.
(3) When in the history of the universe do you say the first proposition occurs?
By the first semiosis

Good. I think we agree except for your placing logic and math as more general than semiosis. Are you thinking of logic and math as cases of natural laws? Or are they conditions for describing laws? How do you test their validity?

Howard