Dear discussion participants, lists -

Thanks to all participants and thread leaders in the long discussions about my
book – and especially thanks to Gary for organizing and keeping the the focus
over many months.
It has been highly instructive to encounter and speculate over the many
different types of qualified questions, queries, counterarguments.
Many of them will be sure to influence future work -

Best
Frederik

To all participants in the Natural Propositions seminar on the peirce-l and
biosemiotics lists,

It's about time to wrap up the seminar by thanking you all for taking part. I
think the cross-conversation between the two lists has helped to break some new
ground on both, and you have all contributed to that. We did run into some
delays and interruptions along the way (we'd originally planned to finish in
January!) but such things are unavoidable in a large project like this.

Thanks are especially due to the volunteer thread leaders: Jeff Kasser, Jeff
Downard, Tyler Bennett, Mara Woods, John Collier, Doug Hare, Gary Richmond,
Cathy Legge, Yogi Hendlin and Franklin Ransom. The moderators/managers of both
lists were also very helpful, and special thanks are due to Gary Richmond for
proposing the seminar in the first place.

I think the greatest thanks of all are due to Frederik Stjernfelt — not only
for writing Natural Propositions, and agreeing to the seminar proposal, but for
the superb quality of his posts in all the threads. I think his lucidity and
generosity of thought and language was extraordinary throughout, and
considerably raised the level of discourse on these lists. This despite
recurring health problems that interfered with his participation during the
winter months (I think they are now resolved). Frederik's broad and deep
contextual knowledge of the many logical and semiotic issues raised during the
seminar greatly enhanced our study of Peirce's doctrine of dicisigns, a study
which was already a major contribution (in my view) to both Peircean and
biosemiotic scholarship. If our seminar has at least brought more attention to
the book, i think it's been worthwhile.

If my own participation has been rather spotty during the past few months, it
was due to lack of time, not lack of interest on my part. Thanks again to
everyone who did find the time to be involved in the seminar.

Gary Fuhrman

.