List,

André De Tienne, Director and General Editor of The Peirce Edition Project,
has asked that we forward this important announcement (also as a Word
attachment).

Best, Gary and Ben (writing as co-managers of PEIRCE-L and Arisbe)

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

THE PEIRCE PROJECT’S NEW WEBSITE

The Peirce Edition Project is very happy to announce that it has a
brand-new website! It has a new address: www.peirce.iupui.edu, but it also
retains the old address, www.iupui.edu/~peirce/.

Our new website has been completely redesigned in order to make it easily
navigable and readable. It provides far more information, for the most part
either new or rewritten entirely. Not every corner of the site is finished
yet, and we are adding new elements every day. Everything important is in
place, however, enough so that you should find your visit rewarding.

The site’s structure is distributed among eight tabs. The first tab,
“Project,” explains in detail our reconceived mission, describes our
history, identifies staff members, lists the members of the advisory board,
and describes the kind of activities we assign to graduate interns. We will
later describe our collaborative initiatives.

The second tab, “Edition,” consolidates a large amount of information
regarding each of the volumes we have published in the *Writings of Charles
S. Peirce* series, as well as the two-volume *The Essential Peirce.* Each
volume is presented through an “overview,” and accompanied by its table of
contents, the text of its introduction, an updated list of errata, and
other elements when available in the case of a few volumes. The overview of
the second *EP* volume charts four itineraries through EP1 and EP2 that
researchers and teachers will find useful when planning a course or a line
of study.

The third tab, “Peirce,” provides various kinds of information about Peirce
himself. Its content will be refreshed and grow over time.

The fourth tab, “Methods,” provides a comprehensive tour of our entire
editorial operation, under nine chapters. We describe our workflow, the
principles and methods of manuscript organization, copy-text selection,
transcription, and critical editing. The aim is to make our operation more
transparent while also educating visitors about the many complexities
attached to a high-standard scholarly edition.

The fifth tab, “Resources,” is intended to describe all of our holdings so
that visiting researchers know what resources they may expect to consult.
Some resources are available online, such as the published papers and
the *Robin
Catalogue* (whose rights Richard Robin gave to PEP). Those holdings include
many of the various components of the Max H. Fisch Library, and the
Project’s extensive archives.

The sixth tab, “Research,” describes the Project as a research center long
renowned for its welcoming plenty of visitors. We describe the policy for
visiting the Project, salute our current visitors, list with much
appreciation the names of our past visitors, and explain what the “Peirce
Seminar Series” is all about, while also listing the names of all past
presenters along with the title of their presentations.

The seventh tab, “Publications,” makes available several documents we have
produced over the years that reflect on various parts of our work. This
area will also grow over time. It also presents the Peirce Project series
at Indiana University Press.

The final tab, “Technology,” is most important. Here we describe our
several initiatives regarding the electronic future of the edition, and
explain in detail, often with illustrations, how we have been planning and
developing STEP, STEP Tools, and CORPUS. We also present two applications
we have developed: LiveIndexer (a sophisticated back-of-the-book indexing
program loaded with many functionalities), and PithMaker (a fun application
that can be downloaded for free!).

Peirce’s spirit inhabits the entire website. Nearly every page opens or
ends with one or more quotations that relate to the content of that page
evocatively. In addition, the left side of every page displays tokens of
“Peirce’s pith”: a random pithy statement or aphorism that changes each
time one moves to a new tab or refreshes a page. Website visitors are
encouraged to click on “Peirce’s pith” to increase pithiness in the world.

We hope that everyone with an interest in Peirce will visit and appreciate
our website. Please feel free to send us suggestions and ideas on how to
keep improving it (cpei...@iupui.edu). Do not forget to click the refresh
button because the content increases or changes rapidly. We will soon add
many links to the rest of the Peirce scholarship.

As always, we count on your support and thank you for it. The Peirce
Project is hard at work, with revived pep!

------------------------------

-----------------------

*André De Tienne, Ph.D.*

Director and General Editor

Peirce Edition Project

Institute for American Thought

Professor of Philosophy

Department of Philosophy

Vice President, Charles S. Peirce Society

*Indiana University School of Liberal Arts*

Indiana University–Purdue University Indianapolis

902 W New York St

ES 0010

Indianapolis, IN 46202-5197

317-274-2033

IAT: 317-274-2173

adetienn(at)iupui.edu

www.iupui.edu/~peirce

liberalarts.iupui.edu/iat/

[image: cid:6290421C-E618-41B6-9F68-372DFA4A2AC5]