I'm in the middle of re-reading a lecture by Joseph Margolis titled A Second-Best Morality. I've been wanting to introduce some of his concepts to Peirce-L because they both challenge and expand Peirce's philosophy. Among the several things I've read by Margolis, A Second-Best Morality seems to be the easiest introduction to this otherwise very difficult-to-read philosopher.

The term Second-Best comes from Plato's "second-best state." Since, as Margolis argues, there are no discoverable first principles to guide us in what sort of state to form, Margolis explains,

   "We are to construct a state, it seems––we must live within one
   political order or another––in spite of the fact that no one knows
   how to detect the would-be guiding Forms."

I have many thoughts on how concepts from this paper relate to the subject we're talking about. Unfortunately I haven't organized them in a presentable way yet, nonetheless, at the risk of forgoing presenting some important premises that Margolis does present, here's a quote that is of paramount importance to pragmatism.

   "We must bear in mind that we ourselves are surely the creatures of
   our own cultural history; what we can and dare judge to be morally
   and politically reasonable must fit the living options of our actual
   world. Even if we supposed an "ideal" answer might serve as a guide
   at least, we need to remember that our visions cannot be more than
   projections from local habits of thought or neighboring possibilities."

The question that this lecture poses is 'how much of reality does this principle cover?' And it makes the case that it should be much more than morals and judgments of art. If abduction of moral principles (and the value of art) is not the guessing of what is true in a Cartesian-Realist way but true in a 'second-best' way, then is this also the case of other truths? Understand that Margolis brings to light premises that give this question a lot of force. (By Cartesian-Realist, I mean that truth is out there, outside of us, waiting to be discovered, and we have the means to discover it. I mean to challenge the first clause.)

How far did Peirce move, say, compared with Descartes, or Kant, toward this idea of second-best truth? Did he go far enough? Margolis somewhere, on video, says something to the extent that this is where the future of pragmatism is.

Here's a relevant quote by Peirce in CP 1:316.

   "I hear you say: "This smacks too much of an anthropomorphic
   conception." I reply that every scientific explanation of a natural
   phenomenon is a hypothesis that there is something in nature to
   which the human reason is analogous; and that it really is so all
   the successes of science in its applications to human convenience
   are witnesses. They proclaim that truth over the length and breadth
   of the modern world. In the light of the successes of science to my
   mind there is a degree of baseness in denying our birthright as
   children of God and in shamefacedly slinking away from
   anthropomorphic conceptions of the universe."

Here is the link to a page where you can download the PDF of the written lecture (26 pages).

http://kuscholarworks.ku.edu/handle/1808/12411

Matt