Matt,

the example in the Margolis quote is exactly what i doubt.

I can only give you some anecdotal evidence to make my point clear. When i
build my house i watched how the carpenter and his apprentice interacted. They
did not speak. The carpenter just took the tool out of the apprentice' hand and
showed him how to do it. How they interacted would have even worked if they
spoken different languages. I also often try to observe myself when thinking
about something. Especially to see how much language is involved. When i think
about scientific things there is always language involved. The result is always
a visualization like a sketch/map/diagram where visual elements are labeled.
But i wondered if i could think about something without such labels. A long
time i couldn't find an example for this, an example which is a pure visual
inner dialogue. It just happened in the last few weeks that i could see me
thinking that way when i build a table saw from scratch with just the motor and
a arbor at hand. Constructing the saw was just moving arround its elements in
my head. I didn't have to name them while thinking about the construction.
After that i realized this was a natural way of thinking for me as child,
because i played most of the day with lego or i was in my dads workshop.

Now, it would be foolish to deny that all interaction between carpenter and
apprentice wouldn't involve language. It would also be foolish to deny that
language isn't involved in becoming a scientist or DIY-guy. But i do not
believe that everything we think or muse about, learn or do presupposes
linguistic competence to think, learn or do exactly this one thing. Certainly
language is the dominant and most important sign system and is therefore
involved in many things. But just the fact that we spoke before we thought,
learned or did something without language isn't really presuppostion, it is
just temporal order. Making language a presupposition to everything we do or
think is a kind of linguistic holism and form of linguistic foundationalism i
would reject. To use Venns metaphor you used: In my opinion there are other
sign systems which can be used as scaffolding.

Best
Stefan