List, John, Sung:

Gentle responses inserted.   :-)

On Nov 14, 2015, at 4:49 AM, John Collier wrote:

> Jerry,
>
> Isn’t this just a straightforward consequence of Fourier analysis?

Of course, yes.  My first sentence is merely a factual statement.

> Are you implying that Fourier analysis has no scientific value (it is
> tautological, so no additional information content – so no additional
> empirical content),

 The mathematical content of the two forms of representation is analogous.

But, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musica_universalis
 for the difference in philosophical content.
[Old wine in new bottles?]

> or do you mean to imply some other value with your use of “scientific”? I
> would prefer to keep the term from being value laden, but I know it is used
> that way, though usually pejoratively. I really don’t understand your usage
> here.

My question, a second independent thought,  was:

> How does your work relate to any form of scientific conclusion?

Generally speaking, as an everyday term, "science" means well-defined objective
knowledge, usually consistent and reproducible and independent of the observer.
Hilbert's criteria of consistency, completeness and decidability are the first
logical steps for evaluating scientific papers, are they not?

The conceptual forms of mathematics do not infer any units of measure,
scientific units being terms that are necessary to associate the scientific
identity of a quality with number and hence quantity.

In certain of your writings, John, such as your vigorous insistence of the
problematic notion of "It's from bits", you choose to ignore how the units of
"its" come into being.

I believe that this is both a metaphysical and a scientific flaw in your
positions, in this instance and elsewhere in other of your writings.

Would your position on "It's from Bits" be consistent with:

"The union of units unites the unity of the Universe." ?

Cheers

Jerry

BTW, the quote:
> “The undertaking which this volume inaugurates is to make a philosophy like
>                (111315-1)
> that of Aristotle, that is to say, to outline a theory so comprehensive that,
> for a
> long time to come, the entire work of human reason, in philosophy of every
> school and kind, in mathematics, in psychology, in physical science, in
> history,
> in sociology, and in whatever other department there may be, shall appear as
> the filling up of its details.  The first step toward this is to find simple
> concepts
> applicable to every subject. “ (Heartshorne and Weiss, 1931, p. vii; emphases
> were added).”

is directly from CP1. paragraph 1 of the "preface" which is actually from a CSP
paper.

The deep question is:

Can any concept meet this stringent criteria?
If so, which one or ones?
Would such a concept be a unit?

JLRC