Jon - yes, I agree. Existentiality functions only within the triad - as
embodied in 'current time and space'. That's why, in my view, Peirce said that
a semiosic triad that lacked the third term, the Interpretant - and that means
not simply 'not now' but 'in the future'...is not a genuine Sign.

Now, with regard to the triads of the 'qualisign' and 'legisign' -  ...and I'm
not sure which triads you are referring to...The qualisign is of course,
operative totally within the mode of Firstness (Rhematic Iconic Qualisign). It
is a possibility - and possibilities are not existential. But are they Real -
understanding realism as referring to universal generals or potentialities. OK
- I'd say 'yes.

With regard to the legisign - the pure Thirdness - it too refers to
generalities. So, again, 'yes'.

As for the bullet-hole, in my view, it is already as you note a triadic sign
but I consider that this triad needs no human agent to view it. After all, the
tree trunk has experienced the effect of the bullet in its interior. That's
certainly an immediate interpretant of the gunshot (besides the noise, the
odour of gunpowder, etc)..and several dynamic interpretants because of the
material effect of the bullet on the tree.

Edwina