Gary F, list,

GF: OK, that does help to clarify what categorial trichotomic (or “category
theory” as Joe R. called it) and vector analysis are all about. On that
basis, I can see how they would be classified as parts or aspects of
phenomenology: they are best applied to *phenomena* or types of phenomena.

One important thing to remember here, I think, is that "category theory" is
an invention of Peirce's. The best place to look for definitions and
descriptions of it and its functioning is in his work beginning around 1885
with "One, Two, Three" (EP1, Item 18) and his letters of that period to
William James, especially the one written in late October of that year
where he first puts forward his "guess of the secret of the sphynx," being,
"that three elements are active in the world, first, chance, second, law
[he will later clarify this to mean law put into effect, or, force GR], and
third, habit-taking." Again, my initial goal has been to try to help
explicate Peirce's own theory.

GF: They don’t seem as well suited to semiotic (as Peirce developed it
post-1902) or, more generally, to triadic *relations*. So I’ll refrain from
asking further questions about those things in this thread.

I do not at all agree that categorial trichotomic is not suited to Peirce's
late semiotic, and, indeed, I believe that its applications to semiotic and
triadic relations are two of its *most* significant applications in
cenoscopic science. But perhaps, as you seem to be suggesting, we should
for now avoid those particular considerations, at least until we have a
fuller understanding of category theory as Peirce conceived of it.
Otherwise we might be talking past each other.

GF: It seems what we need is examples of its application to phenomena
(processes, etc.) and demonstrations of the pragmatic value of vector
analysis. One theoretical question remains for me, though: does your
development of trichotomic (including vector analysis) make any use of the
Peircean concept of degeneracy? The reason I ask is that degeneracy in one
concept he continues to apply (with no essential change that I can see)
from “Trichotomy” on, to his work on semiotic, on logical relations, *and* on
the categories. If your trichotomic has no use for it, or for the
genuine/degenerate distinction as applied by Peirce, that in itself might
clarify the new direction that your work is taking.

I have struggled with these questions for some time now. First, I would say
that to get a grasp of how trichotomic can be applied one ought fully
familiarize oneself with Peirce's "A Guess at the Riddle." Again, as Houser
notes, this MS marks Peirce's "deliberate turn to architectonic thought, "
a turn which he continues into the famous Monist Metaphysical Series being
"The Architecture of Theories," The Doctrine of Necessity Examined," "The
Law of Mind," "Man's Glassy Essence," and "Evolutionary Love." If one is
looking for Peirce's own conception of trichotomic, there's probably no
better place to begin than with "A Guess at the Riddle" followed by an
examination of these famous papers. For, as Houser writes:

His three categories, which he speculates are isomorphic with the three
elements that are active in the universe. . . serve as the structure for
organizing the branches of philosophy and science, and it is clear that he
anticipated a complete reorganization of human knowledge around his triad
of universal conceptions (EP1:245).

And here Houser quotes a passage I gave in an earlier post where Peirce
comments that such a restructuring of science (including, and perhaps
especially, I will continue to argue, semiotics, including its last branch,
methodeutic/ pragmatism) would bring about "one of the births of time."

Perhaps on Peirce's own authority, then, it makes sense, at least to me, to
imagine that categorial trichotomic *might *have as much--or, at least,
nearly as much--potential value as Peirce himself saw it as having.

In Peirce's work of this period there are also hints as to the answer to
another question you've raised: "does your development of trichotomic
(including vector analysis) make any use of the Peircean concept of
degeneracy?" For starters, Peirce, by the very fact of discussing
degeneracy *in *"TRICHOTOMIC" would seem to be suggesting that its
development *might* include that notion, and I have come to see that
categorial trichotomic does involve both genuine and degenerate relations
(how degenerate relations might be diagrammed in trikonic is something I am
now only beginning to explore).

However, it is important to note that in the 1907 "Pragmatism," for
example, that Peirce comments that "the semiosis of the sign" is a *genuine*
triadic relation. This leads me to think that vector analysis (which
includes a vector which essentially represents "the semiosis of the sign" )
probably doesn't concern itself with degenerate relations, nor has it any
need to. Its structure and purpose, while intimately connected to
categorial trichotomic as Peirce outlined it, is quite different (but
that's another subject).

My growing sense, well at the moment really just a guess, is that category
theory may have a part to play in "making Peirce pragmatic," which is the
working title of a paper my friend and colleague, Aldo de Moor, proposed
decades ago, and by which he meant, specifically (although the phrase
doesn't strongly suggest it), applying pragmatism, as "critical
common-sensism," to certain contemporary, especially organizational and
cultural problems.

From a more strictly cenoscopic standpoint, Peirce, in that 1907 essay,
lists really a rather stunning number of important ontological questions
which scientific pragmatism could help resolve (see: EP2:480). So, in both
a scientific as well as the more general cultural sense, I find myself more
and more focusing on what, if anything, categorial trichotomic, perhaps
especially vector analysis, might contribute to such pragmatic problem
solving.

This is all by way of saying that I want to look again freshly at
pragmatism, that aspect of Peirce's work which brought many of us to him in
the first place. To that end, I'm currently drafting a post on some of the
ideas contained in the 1907 MS mentioned above, so that I'll be focusing on
pragmatism as such for the next few weeks.

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]

*Gary Richmond*