Gary, List,

Time and again Peirce refers to his logic of relatives
as the means necessary to understand the more complex
and subtle issues in his theory of inquiry and his
theory of signs.  I find this to be good advice.

The best antidote for confusion about triadic sign relations
and the three basic modes of inference can be found in study
of his early papers on the logic of relatives and the logic
of science.  His first expeditions, for all their rough and
exploratory character, perhaps even because of it, give far
more concrete examples of relations in general and triadic
sign relations in particular, plus a better idea of actual
practice in the ways of inquiry, than the often detached
abstractions of his later speculations and summations.

From what I've seen through many years of watching people
struggle with Peirce, it is almost impossible to get what
Peirce is talking about in his later work without getting
a foothold on the concrete foundation he laid down at the
outset of his work.

I proposed some time ago that a close reading of Peirce's
1870 “Logic of Relatives” could be extremely beneficial in
understanding and applying Peirce's ideas to real problems.
It's where I began way back when and I have already put my
own notes on the foothills of the paper on the web several
times, the current best version on the InterSciWiki, here:

http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/Peirce's_1870_Logic_Of_Relatives

Regards,

Jon

--